Monday 14 October 2013

Travel Essentials: Arctic Charger PRO 4 Rev 2 - USB Charger for iPads, iPhones and others.

I blogged about the 4-Port USB Charger here. I bought it at one of the PC Show in Singapore. It was a good device. It was able to charge my iPad, mutiple iPhones, multiple Blackberries and Jambox speakers. However, there was an occasion, on my trip to Hong Kong, where I tried to charge the devices all at the same time, using the 4-ports simultaneously. Almost immediately, there was a burning crispy smell coming from the charger. I quickly unplugged it and stopped using all 4 ports. Ever since then, I have been looking for a reliable replacement. 

I read about the Arctic Charger Pro 4 couple of times in the Flyertalk Forum. There was lot of recommendation for the charger. Unfortunately, I could not find it in Singapore. I did find it on my recent trip to Kuala Lumpur. 

Here are the unboxing photos:


The 2 orange USB output supports simultaneous
fast charge for iPhone and iPad. 



It says compatible with all kind of devices. 



The fast charge is quite good.



'
Another feature, it comes in several plugs and a bag to keep it all
together!! Awesome.



Output it says 5V - 2.5V

Another feature, it is designed by Arctic Switzerland. That has to 
be reliable.



The 2-pin plug is attached to the device.


Even though it is designed in Switzerland, it is still made in 
China.









Inside the blue box contains...


..the plugs and bag.



The 3 plugs, which is more than adequate for me. You just need to
slide it into the charger.



Here is the 1st charger that I bought, in black. The design is quite 
similar.



Another view of it.



The plug can be removed. It can be interchange but
additional plugs are sold separately.



There is a small orange light which indicates thatt the 
device is active.

However, a word of caution. Even though it says the Arctic USB charger is able to charge 4 devices simultaneously, there is a circuit breaker inside which will not charge all devices if it is overloaded. For example, 2x iPads and 2x iPhones simultaneously. This is a safety feature which is missing from my black generic charger. It continues to charge all 4 devices and fried itself. I would not recommend that generic black charger if you ever come across it. 

Here is my review of the generic black here.

The Arctic charger would be a much safer buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment