Saturday 8 November 2014

Comex 2014: Powerskin Battery Powerbank for Micro-USB

I bought the Powerskin Battery Charger for Micro-USB at the recent Comex 2014. It was held between 28th to 31st August 2014. I wanted to use it as one of my travel essentials for my Samsung S4 mobile phone. One of its features is the suction pads located at the back of the portable battery. This will allow it to stick to the phone and act like a 'second skin'.

The PowerSkin is in red with the red suction cups. Taken
from their website.

Specifications:
Battery Type: Lithium Polymer
Battery Capacity: 2000mAh
Input Specification: 5V, 1A
Output Specification: 5V, 1A
Weight: 0.4 lbs / 86g
Dimension: 5(L) x 2.2(W) x 0.41 (H) in

There is only one output and its only 1A. This could be low by today's mobile phone standard.

The battery that is being used is from xPal, which also provide batteries for Energizer. I used one of its battery for my old iPhone, which I blogged about it here.


Another view of Powerskin. Taken from their
website. Take note that this is the 30-pin
iPhone charger. It is using the battery from xPal.


But after opening it and trying it, I realised, there could be problems with using it.

Lets go through the unboxing photos first.


Box-Front



Box-Side



Box-Back


Box - Back details.


Box-Back. Additional details.



Content. I bought the black version.


The suction cup upclose. The micro-USB tip.



The flexi-tip can be removed.


Indicator light for battery status.


The Problem




After trying out the PowerSkin, I realised that I have 2 problems:

1. The flexi-tip cannot accommodate the Otterbox casing. The casing is too thick and the charging port cover is in the way of the flex-tip. As shown in the top picture.

2. The texture of the Otterbox does not allow the suction cup to work. But this is small matter. 

So how do I overcome the 1st problem?

I will tell you of another device I bought in my next blog.

In the meantime, read about my other portable battery, Powerocks 7800mAh Dual USB Portable Battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment