Sunday 13 April 2014

Travel Essentials: Asus All-In-One Wireless N Pocket Router WL-330NUL for Wifi Review.

I bought the Asus All-In-One Wireless N Pocket Router WL-330NUL to replace the D-Link DIR 505 which I bought and blogged about here. I got the Asus Pocket Router at the recent IT Show 2014 which was held at Marina Bay Sands from 27th Feb to 2nd March 2014.

My main usage for the the mobile router is to create an instant hotspot in hotel rooms via their wifi. Normally, the usage is restricted to a single device with login and password supplied by the hotels but with these mobile router, multiple devices can be hooked up.

The process to connect to the hotel wifi is straightforward. When the mobile router is powered up, there is a web-based interface to search for the wifi around the vicinity. I would just click on the wifi that I have been given access to, put in the hotel supplied login/password, the mobile router would reboot and I would be connected. It seems quite easy on paper. But I have been getting problems with the DIR 505 as it would reboot and still no connection. It is suppose to be easy. Spending an hour fiddling around the wifi connection in a hotel room is not ideal when I should be doing work or better yet, if I am on holiday.

I decided to get the Asus WL-330NUL mainly because of its size. It seems to pack quite a lot of features in such a small form, as compared to the DIR 505.

Specifications

Interface: 1 x RJ45 for 10/100 BaseT with auto cross-over function (MDI/MDI-X)
Antenna: Internal 2 dBi antenna x 1
Operating Frequency: 2.4GHz
Management: Guest SSID / Site Survey / DHCP server / DHCP client / Static IP / Upgrades via web browser        
Security: Firewall : NAT, Virtual DMZ
Encryption : 64/128-bit WEP, WPA TKIP/AES, WPA2 TKIP/AES
Authentication : MAC address
Utilities: WL-330NUL Ultra-Link Utility / One-click guest management / Web-base administration
Power Adapter: AC Input : 110V~240V(50~60Hz)
DC Output : 5 V with max. 1 A current
OS Support: Windows® 8 , 32bit/64bit / Windows® 7 , 32bit/64bit / Windows® Vista , 32bit/64bit / Windows® XP , 32bit/64bit
Mac OS X 10.5 / Mac OS X 10.6 / Mac OS X 10.7 / Mac OS X 10.8
Linux
Dimensions: 65 x 20.7 x 15.4 mm (WxDxH)



ASUS WL-330NUL Pocket Router Box Front
The 330NUL Pocket Router has 4 functions, as indicated on the box cover above. I am using it mainly as a Wi-Fi Hotspot.


ASUS WL-330NUL Pocket Router Box Back
Connection is either through an ethernet cable or via wi-fi.




There are 3 types of power source for the pocket router. This is extremely flexible, as compared to the D-Link DIR 505, which has to be plugged to a wall socket. 


There are just 3 items in the box. Thankfully, it came with a
UK-Type plug. The USB cable is attached and hidden below the pocket router.


Comparing the D-Link with the ASUS.


Connection:

Using the Asus WL-330NUL is quite simple. On the iPhone, I just need to locate the network, which I have selected above.


I launched the iPhone browser, point it to asusnetwork.net, login with the Supervisor Code. This is a 8-digit number which is located on the mobile router. After that, I would get the screen above. It will do a survey of the wifi networks nearby.


I select the wifi network which is assigned to me and put in the Network Key or Password. It will be reboot and reconnect to the wifi network.

This works for the rest of the devices within the network. It is quite straightforward. The D-Link DIR 505 is a bit troublesome in the administrative part of getting connected. And after it reboots, most of the time I would not get a connection and I would have redo the process all over again.

As a travelling companion, I find this device very useful.

If you have the WL-300NUL, let me know what you think of the device.

No comments:

Post a Comment